Saturday, September 17, 2005

Post No. 68 - Freak Storm

Interesting?

So its been raining on and off all day. Horrible big loud rain! So I stayed at work all day and didn't come home to hang the washing out at lunchtime like I sometimes do.

Luckily it wasn't raining when I left work at 5pm. By the time I got indoors though it was coming down heavy. We waited it out a little before heading back out in the car to VideoEzy to get some DVDs to watch this weekend. It was only about 20metres from the car to the sheltered wall leading up to the VideoEzy door - yet we still got soaked.

We were perusing the shelves deciding what to get with our BOGOF voucher (!) - I definetly wanted to see Harry Potter 3 cos we hadn't seen that yet and we were debating whether Van Helsing would be too scary for me (and if the fact its Hugh Jackman would help me overcome my fear) when there was this flash.

My first thought....'what silly buggar is taking pictures in the video store?' but when I looked out the door and saw the rain bouncing off the ground I realised it was lightening. Eeeek! Then there was the loudest crash I have ever heard! It was so loud that the whole building we were in shook and a car alarm outside was actually activated! I looked about me to discover everyone was as spooked as we were....so obviously not a huge occurence here in Palmy.

We paid for the DVDs and waited by the door for a break in the rain which didn't come so eventually had to sprint out to the car getting absolutely soaked! Our jumpers are hanging up to dry because they were too wet to wear or put away!

It carried on thundering and lightening for about an hour after we got back home. It seems to have calmed down a lot now so I am keeping my fingers crossed I don't wake up screaming in the night due to a loud clap of thunder. (And let me tell you people that was no clap we heard - that was the whole world applauding all together!)

Scary stuff.....and its reminded me I really do need to get an evacuation kit put together!!!

No comments: